Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 1: In which I realize my stupidity

Today's Weight: Between 132 and 135 (Thanksgiving was yesterday, I'm hoping my scale is wrong but it's probably not...sigh)

The Story: In a moment of drunken stupidity yesterday, I challenged a marathon runner to do Tough Mudder next year. I called him chicken for not wanting to do it as he's not a fan of being electrocuted (a portion of the event) and said "Hey, I'd do it," or something along those lines. Next thing I know he's got a maniacal gleam in his eyes and says, "Ohhh really?" At this point I have realized I have made a huge mistake, as now my options are #1 not do it and let him gloat for an unknown period of time or #2 actually sign up for it and suffer the obvious consequences. I signed up.

Why? I have been trying to get in shape for a while, but what better way to push myself than sign up for a non-refundable completely insane obstacle course six months from now? Why not?

I tried to find a picture to stick in here but all I got googling "pain and suffering" was people holding their face in their hands. Feel free to picture me doing this.

The Facts (as I know them):
  • I am not a runner. This is bad, because it is recommended that to compete for this, you should be accustomed to running 5 or so miles twice a week. I can walk that much, but that's as far as it gets.
  • I am only marginally in shape. I've been working on exercising several times a week for about two months now, but it's mostly light cardio and very little muscle building.
  • I smoke and drink and eat too much. This may hinder progress.
  • I am completely terrified.
The Plan: I'm going to start with the Couch to 5k program (hey, baby steps, right?!?) which you are supposed to do three times a week for nine weeks. During this I will try to exercise another two times a week, slowly adding in muscle building. Once C25K is over, then I'll attempt to increase my distances with running and adding in the Tough Mudder training program.

I'll keep posting here to hold myself responsible, so to speak. I'm hoping people will read and comment during this whole process so I don't use lack of readership as a lame excuse to not post and keep my butt in gear.

What I did today: Registration for TM is already done, Team "The Honeybadgers" created. My office closed at 2pm today so I was able to get home and get on the local rail trail to start C25K. Here's what Week One looks like:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
Easy-peasy right? Well if you're me, you'd be wrong. Walking was swell, but after about 3 seconds of running, all my brain could register was PAIN OUCH PAIN. I told you I am not a runner. I finished though, and I will add that it got about 5% easier towards the end. That's something, right?

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Black Friday, and enjoy pigging out on turkey day leftovers (I know I will).

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Jess. I'm doing a Spartan in June or something like that. The people that started the team haven't decided on NY or PA, so I've been slacking on my training. YOU CAN DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get runtastic and the c25k app if you have a smart or iphone. Actually got my sneakers yesterday to start my own c25k! Best of luck, Jess!

    Janna

    ReplyDelete